(Fall 2019) My name is Bryce Broussard, a junior Supply Chain Management major from Houston, TX.
1. What is the purpose of this conference?
This conference was designed to give supply chain professionals an opportunity to stay on top of all of the latest innovations and developments in the supply chain field. Professionals were able to learn from experts about any aspect of supply chain management, discuss different technologies that are providing cutting-edge solutions, and get an in-depth look at the components of a world-class supply chain.
2. Why did you want to attend this conference?
I wanted to attend this conference because I wanted to have a better understanding of the different aspects of supply chain management. My internship from this past summer was focused on procurement, so I didn't get much of a chance to look at Supply Chain from any other angle. I felt that attending this conference was important for me so I could get exposed to other elements of supply chain and have a better idea of what parts of supply chain I could see myself thrive in.
3. What did you enjoy most about the conference?
I enjoyed the openness of the conference more than anything. Professionals were more than willing to share experiences that they have had in supply chain and some of the successes or failures that their company has been through. Everyone was there to help one another become better supply chain professionals.
4. What are some takeaways from the conference?
The biggest takeaway for me is the impact that artificial intelligence is currently making in supply chain and the larger impact it will have in the near future. In previous discussion I've had with different people, there is almost always a time where someone is concerned the negative impact AI can have on employees. Those concerns were never brought up by anybody at this conference! The value that AI can bring to an organization in an effort to leverage supply chain insight and long term market shifts has several employees excited about how it will help their business. Statistics shown at the conference state that AI will help supply chain functions more than any other function in a business. Supply chain professionals understand that it is a great time to be in this particular field.
5. Would you recommend students to attend this conference next year? Why\Why not? I would definitely recommend this conference to anyone that is interested. The conference gave me an opportunity to learn from experts and even talk with companies about internship opportunities. Its an amazing chance to figure out just how much this profession has to offer.